Intercultural Exchange: China


OVC’s Intercultural Exchange program is the perfect way to way to gain cultural awareness and professional experience. Get some independence. Discover who you really are. Go on adventures. Trial run a career. Compete in a global economy. Create an international network. Challenge yourself. Have fun. Make new friends. Boost your confidence. Immerse yourself in a new culture. Develop skills you didn’t know you had. Expand your point of view. Fine tune your intercultural skill set. Surprise yourself. Set yourself apart from the rest!

Perfect for someone who is looking to teach, explore and save for future travels!

Program Inclusions:

• Live and work in China for five months. If you excel on the program you may
have the option to stay on longer in China as our partners can assist with placement.
• Work 30 hours a week (that’s six hours per day, three hours of traditional teaching and three hours of learning through play)
• All basic living expenses covered (including three meals a day, transportation, accommodation, travel insurance and weekend activities throughout your placement: beach parties, volunteering in the community, going on the high speed train, learning Chinese, have experience with Chinese art, Kung fu, seeing Huawei office ... to name a few)  
• Free return flights after program completion
• Monthly US$ 260 stipend per month  
• Free training for the program duration


1. Are you between the ages of 21 – 45?
2. Proficient at speaking, reading and writing English?
3. Have a true passion for children
4. Have graduated with a degree, or due to graduate with a degree
5. Have no criminal record
6. Must be able to use computers, internet, and word processing software
7. Have a TEFL certification or be willing to complete one if you do not hold a
Bachelor of Education
8. Be medically fit (have no pre-existing medical conditions or have to take any
chronic medication)
9. Hold a SA, UK, AUS, NZ, ROI, US, CAN or UK passport

Start/Finish Dates

The program lasts one Chinese school semester (five months). February and September are the intake months. You will depart late January for the February intake and depart late August for the September intake. Your placement will be as a Kindergarten teacher, teaching children between the ages of three and six years old.

Once the semester is completed, if you have done well you may have the opportunity to stay on and get placed in a full-time job or return home.

Visa Info

Your documents will need to be attested before your work visa and permit can be applied for. Documents needing to be attested are: Original degree, Full version SAPS police clearance and TEFL qualification.
Before you can get your Work Visa for China, you need to get your Chinese work permit. China Work Permits are issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the People’s Republic of China.  OVC and our partners will be assisting you throughout your visa process.
After your arrival in China, you will receive temporary registration and will have a full medical done in China (at no cost to you). After this process you will receive your work certificate and residence permit.


Admin fee 0
Service fee 0
Program fee 0
Other fees See more info
Visa fees R 860 (reimbursed in China)
Travel Insurance 0
Airfare (approx) 0
Recommended Spending Money R 4000


To apply for the Intercultural Exchange program, contact your local OVC office for the application documents - Your OVC consultant will explain all the costs, requirements and fantastic benefits that this program can offer you. Once we have received your application, it is then assessed, and you will be interviewed by our partners in China.

Once accepted, you will then receive an offer letter and guidance with obtaining the documents for your visa (TEFL, Police Clearance, Medical). Should you not hold a TEFL certificate, one can obtained through the program. If you hold a Bachelor of Education you do not need a TEFL.  We will begin the visa process in China and South Africa. Once the visa is approved, we will book you on the next flight to China and you will begin your adventure as a ESL Kindergarten teacher!

More Info

-       Medical: Visit to the GP for a check-up. Cost will vary with doctor and if you
have medical aid.
A specific medical statement will be given to you once you have received an
offer letter. (Blood tests required are: HIV, TB, and pregnancy (for females).
- Full version SAPS Police clearance: R 114.
- TEFL: R 1000 (host company will pay the other portion of your 120 hour, internationally recognized TEFL qualification)
- Visa: R 860 (reimbursed to you when you arrive in China)
- Authentication and legislation of documents: (should you need the service) – R
750 - R 900