Au pair USA
Status : Program Open
Embassy : Open
Vaccination Required : No
PCR Required to Enter : No
Listen to a recorded webinar of our Au pair Abroad option:
Do you enjoy caring for children? Have you dreamed of spending a year in the United States, living with an American family and travelling extensively? Become an Au pair and get ready to have a rewarding year caring for children and living in the United States.
Since 2000 OVC have successfully placed more than 5,000 au pairs with carefully screened American families. To help you make the most of your time as an au pair in the USA, you will receive numerous benefits and opportunities as listed below to study and travel, and experience the greatest cultural exchange program OVC has to offer.
There are many benefits to becoming an Au Pair in the United States. Not only will you make new friends, travel the USA and gain valuable work experience, you will also receive the following wonderful benefits:
- Earn a minimum weekly stipend
- Enjoy two weeks of paid vacation, 1.5 days off a week and 1 full weekend off a month
- Receive an educational allowance of up to $500
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- Round-trip airfare from your home country to the United States
- Medical and accident travel insurance during your stay
- Free private room and full board provided by your host family
- Sponsorship of your J-1 Au Pair visa
- Full support from your local representative during your stay
- Monthly social and cultural opportunities with other Au Pairs
- 30 Days to travel the U.S. after completing your year
- Extend your stay for either 6,9 or 12 months
Highest Au Pair Stipend in South Africa - Exclusive to OVC - $215 minimum per week
*The U.S. Department of State calculation of the minimum weekly stipend of $195.75 is based on the federal minimum wage with a 40% deduction for room and board in exchange for childcare services.
Host families and au pairs are free to agree to compensation higher than the legally applicable minimum
OVC partner with an Amazing Sponsor to offer the highest paid Au Pair program in South Africa, where applicants dont earn $195.75 they earn $215 per week!!! This means you will earn $1000 more per annum as an Au Pair with OVC!
Au Pair Responsibilities
Living with an American host family and working as an Au Pair is a unique and rewarding experience. Au Pairs are responsible for providing quality childcare for up to 45 hours per week, including the following:
- Playing with the children and keeping them safe
- Preparing meals and snacks for the children
- Helping to keep the children’s rooms tidy
- Bathing and dressing the children
- Helping school age kids by packing lunches, taking them to school and helping with homework
- Entertaining the children and teaching them about your culture
- Taking the children on outings to parks, playgroups and other activities
- Travelling with your host family on vacations and providing care for the children
Your responsibilities as an Au Pair are limited to child care and related duties. You will not be expected to perform tasks that are not related to children or include heavy manual labour. However, as a family member, you may be asked to help participate in duties that a typical family member would help with.
- Females aged 18 - 26 (Apply latest 26.5 years, Arrive before turning 27)
- Male candidates 18-26 must have a lot of childcare exp. and a valid license
- Single and have no dependents
- Matric or high school equivalent
- Passion to work with children
- Must have extensive childcare experience
- Fit and healthy
- Valid drivers license
- South African and Namibian passport holders (other nationalities case by case)
Weekly departures year round from Multiple Airports in South Africa and also Windhoek, Namibia!!
J1 Cultural Exchange Visa valid for 12 months. With the option to extend for an additional 6, 9 or 12 months. With a 30 day grace period to travel the USA upon successful completion of your Au Pair contract.
|Visa fees||$185 Visa, R309 Return Passport via Courier or collect for free from DUR/JNB/CPT DHL office|
|Recommended Spending Money||$250|
Visit your local OVC office to receive the application link and forms. Complete the application requirements and attend an in-person interview. Your application will be forwarded to the USA. You will begin to hear from families and screen them to ensure you are choosing the right family for you. Once you have successfully matched, OVC will assist in obtaining your J1 Cultural Exchange Visa. On approval of your visa, you will travel to the USA to begin the adventure of a lifetime.